Last updated: September 30, 2015
The Early Years of the State House Bell
- Grade Level:
- Upper Elementary: Third Grade through Fifth Grade
- Social Studies
These activities help students understand the uses of the Pennsylvania State House bell during colonial times and as it was evolving into the powerful icon of the Liberty Bell. Students should already be familiar with Pennsylvania's early history and such terms as William Penn, colony, Quakers, Charter of Privileges, and Pennsylvania Assembly.
- Students will identify and list at least three uses of tower bells during colonial times.
- Students will explain the meaning of the State House Bell's inscription and create their own bell and inscription.
- Students will use a graphic organizer to categorize key events of the State House Bell's history in Pennsylvania.
- Students will understand and appreciate the economic and political decision-making processes of early colonist.