Last updated: January 11, 2016
Becoming George Washington: Unit 2: Young George Washington
- Grade Level:
- Middle School: Sixth Grade through Eighth Grade
- Social Studies
By studying young George Washington’s writings as a 16-year-old surveyor and writings from his first military trip five years later, students will learn about his character and ambitions.
Guiding Question: What do you know about George Washington? What does his 1748 writing tell us about him as a young surveyor? What can we learn about how he has changed from his 1753 writing on a dangerous military trip? What character trait does his 1754 letter reveal?
- List what they know about Washington, correcting items on their list as they research the man
- Analyze his 1748 writing as a surveyor
- List three ways he has changed by reading his 1753 writing on a military mission
- List one character trait revealed by this 1754 promotion letter