Fees and Passes

Entrance Fee
There is no charge to visit Tallgrass Prairie National Preserve or attend any of our many programs and activities.

Bus Tour
There is no charge for our bus tour. Visit here for more details about our bus tours.

Group Tours
Free guided tours for schools and organized groups may be reserved a minimum of two weeks in advance by calling (620) 273-8494.

National Park Passes
While there is no charge for visiting the preserve, the following information is provided for visitor use at other National Park Service sites that collect an entrance fee.

Senior and Access Passes Available by Mail
Starting October 2011 the Senior and Access passes
are available by MAIL. Follow this link to download the form to obtain the Senior and Access Passes via mail.

Starting January 1, 2007, the America the Beautiful-National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands Passes replaced the Golden Age, Golden Access, Golden Eagle, and National Park Passes. These passes are NOT available at the preserve. They are available at the regional locations listed below.

*Only the National Park Pass may be obtained by calling 1-888-ASK-USGS and press 1 (888-275-8747, option 1), or on-line at https://store.usgs.gov/pass.

*All Golden Age, Golden Access, Golden Eagle, and National Parks Passes will continue to be honored at applicable locations according to the provisions of the pass. Only paper Golden Age and Golden Access Passports may be exchanged free of charge for the new plastic passes.

The preserve does not have camping available. The nearest location is five miles south on K177 in Cottonwood Falls at Bates Grove Park and Swope Park. Call the Cottonwood Falls City Office at 620-273-6666 for more information or ask a ranger for directions.

Chase State Fishing Lake, administered by Kansas Department of Wildlife and Parks (3 miles west of Cottonwood Falls) provides a shelter house, fire rings and grills, picnic tables, and pit toilets for use by campers, picnickers, and anglers.

Camping, picnicking, fishing, and hunting are available at Council Grove Reservoir (17 miles north of the preserve) and is administered by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. Call the Council Grove Lake Office at 620-767-5195 for more information.

Last updated: July 16, 2018

Contact the Park

Mailing Address:

2480B KS Hwy 177
Strong City, KS 66869


(620) 273-8494 xhit 0

Contact Us