Text    Click for small text size. Click for medium text size. Click for large text size.         Click to share this page.     Click to print the page.   GO »

Member Details

< Return to Search Results

1816 Farmington Quaker Meetinghouse

This 1816 Farmington Quaker meetinghouse, possibly the oldest Quaker meetinghouse still standing west of the colonial settlement line, home of Farmington Quarterly Meeting and, after 1834, Genesee Yearly Meeting (Hicksite), represents the importance of Quakers and of Farmington, New York, as a key node in the Underground Railroad network nationally. Underground Railroad people associated with this meetinghouse included freedom seeker Austin Steward, who quite likely helped build this meetinghouse; Darius Comstock, President of the Ontario Manumission Society; Pliny Sexton, Griffith M. Cooper, and Elias and Susan Doty, members of this meeting who kept UGRR safe houses; Quaker minister Lucretia Mott; educator Myrtilla Miner, and the M'Clintock, Post, Anthony, Fish, and DeGarmo families, members of Farmington Quarterly Meeting who organized the Congregational Friends at this meetinghouse in 1848, when Elizabeth Cady Stanton spoke here. Other UGRR people associated with this meetinghouse or the Orthodox meetinghouse across the road (no longer standing) included members of the Smith, Hathaway, and Wilbur families and freedom seekers Frederick Douglass, William Wells Brown, Charles Remond, Richard Valentine, and Mary and Emily Edmondson. Farmington UGRR people were linked to a major UGRR network operated by William Chaplin in

Washington , D.C.

Visitor Information: Currently not open to public.

Location: 160 County Route 8, Farmington, Ontario, 14425

National Park Unit: No

Ownership: Elizabeth Cady Stanton Foundation

Location Type: Site

People/Organizations Associated with the site: Fugitive Slave Law

Freedom Seekers: Austin Steward

UGRR Operatives: Darius Comstock,Otis Comstock

Religious Denominations: Quaker