- Cars, motorcycles and other motor vehicles are the most pervasive noise source in parks that:
- may cause delays and backups which detract from the visitor experience;
- negatively impact wildlife through collisions, habitat fragmentation, and noise; and
- contribute to air pollution.
- Many parks offer alternative transportation, such as shuttles.
- Energy-efficient hybrid and electric vehicles are quieter than gas-powered vehicles.
NPS conducts education efforts targeting drivers of loud vehicles.