The NPS Night Skies Team has collected data at more than 317 sites in 116 park units, as well as some areas outside of national parks. To learn more about how we collect these data, visit our Measuring Lightscapes page. For interpretations of the metrics in the reports, visit the Night Sky Monitoring Report Metrics page.
Night sky images and reports are available in a database via Google Earth.
- Make sure that Google Earth is installed on your computer - this is how you'll view the data.
- Download the Google Earth kml file to view the night sky database.
- Download the Google Earth kmz file to view an overlay of upward radiance from the VIIRS DNB satellite (lower 48 United States only).
Instructions for viewing in Google Earth:
- Add the NPS Night Sky data layer (kml file). There are red circle placemarks for each monitoring site.
- Add the VIIRS DNB layer(kmz file) and set its transparency to about 30%.