Getting to the National Mall
Smithsonian Metro is the closest metro stop to the fireworks area. Due to the possibility of overcrowding at Smithsonian, travelers are encouraged to use other nearby Metro stations, such as Federal Triangle, Foggy Bottom, L'Enfant Plaza, Archives/Navy Memorial, or Metro Center.
If you choose to drive, free public parking is extremely limited during this event. Limited parking is available on Hains Point, accessible via I-395 or Maine Avenue from the east only. Vehicles will not be allowed on or around the National Mall. Numerous Road Closures will affect your ability to navigate areas of Washington, D.C. and along the George Washington Memorial Parkway.
- South side of Memorial Bridge
- Constitution Avenue NW between 23rd Street NW and Henry Bacon Drive NW
- Constitution Avenue NW and 17th Street NW (opens at 2 p.m.)
- West side of 14th Street NW at Madison Drive NW (opens at 2 p.m.)
- West side of 14th Street SW at Jefferson Drive SW
- Maine Avenue SW and Raoul Wallenberg Place SW (15th Street SW)
- East Basin Drive just south of the Jefferson Memorial (visitors will not be able to access the National Mall from here)
- East Basin Drive at Inlet Bridge SW
U.S. Capitol grounds
Public access begins at 3 p.m. to view A Capitol Fourth, with a security check required of all visitors. Seating on the lawn is available on a first-come, first-served basis. Entrances will be at:
- 3rd Street NW and Pennsylvania Avenue NW
- 3rd Street SW and Maryland Avenue SW
George Washington Memorial Parkway
Fireworks can be viewed from the following locations along the George Washington Memorial Parkway. There is no access to the National Mall from these locations:
- U.S. Marine Corps War Memorial and Netherlands Carillon
- Columbia Island/Lyndon Baines Johnson Memorial Grove ( Access to the Potomac Riverfront is now possible via the new bike/pedestrian tunnel that runs underneath the Boundary Channel Bridge (a.k.a. the “Humpback Bridge”)
- Gravelly Point, north of National Airport
- Washington Sailing Marina/Indigo Landing Restaurant at Daingerfield Island
All visitors are required to enter via an Event Entrance, where entrants will be subject to security screening. Seating space is available on a first-come, first-serve basis. Please check the Prohibited Items page before attending the event.
Last updated: July 4, 2019