National Historic Landmark Special Studies
The NHL Program undertakes special studies as the need for them arises. These studies serve as an evaluation tool for properties that are nominated as NHLs. Special studies typically focus on a specific topic rather than a broad theme, although that topic is related to an important aspect of American history.
List of Special Studies:
- Adirondack Camps (2007). Available for download (accessible PDF 1.8 MB).
- African American NHL Assessment Study (2008)
- Archeology Inventory (1999; updated 2003)
- Beyond the Fireworks of '76 (African American History) (1973)
- Capitols as National Historic Landmarks (2009; updated 2017). Available for download (accessible PDF 0.1 MB).
- Captain John Smith Chesapeake National Historic Water Trail (2006)
- Covered Bridges NHL Context Study (2012). Available for download (accessible PDF 6.6 MB).
- Lewis and Clark Eastern Legacy Study (2007)
- Lighthouse Context Statement. Available for download (accessible PDF 7.7 MB).
- Mississippi Delta: The Nile of the New World
- Modern Architecture (2003). Available for download (accessible PDF 1 MB).
- Modernism in Bartholomew County, Indiana, from 1942 (1999; updated 2012). Available for download (accessible PDF 1.9 MB).
- National Home for Disabled Volunteer Soldiers (2007)
- Presidential History: List of associated NHLs
- War of 1812: List of associated NHLs
- Washita Battlefield (1964)
- Frank Lloyd Wright Study (2007; updated 2009 and 2014) and list of associated NHLs. Available for download (accessible PDF 0.4 MB).
Last updated: August 13, 2019