The National Park Service maintains a complex portfolio of more than 75,000 assets, including historic structures, roads, bridges, trails, campgrounds, and utility systems. We have extensive preventive and recurring maintenance needs resulting from aging infrastructure and heavy use which often exceeds the capacity for which it was designed. National Park Service staff at each park inspect assets to assess their condition. Deferred maintenance and repair (DM&R) figures represent the funding necessary to bring National Park Service assets to an acceptable and safe condition.
Reports by StateFact sheets are available with detailed information about National Park Service's deferred maintenance and repairs by state, district, and territory. The table below provides links to downloadable PDFs.
|State, District, or Territory||Fact Sheet|
Reports by Park or SiteInformation is available for National Park Service parks and sites with deferred maintenance and repairs. Use the table below to search or download basic data or detailed PDF fact sheets.
|Park Name||State||Buildings||Trail Miles||Housing Units||Campgrounds||Unpaved Road Miles||Water Systems||Waste Water Systems||Paved Road Miles||All Other Assets||DM&R||Additional Park Units Included in Calculations (if Applicable)||Fact Sheets|
Reports from Past YearsView fact sheets and reports about National Park Service deferred maintenance and repairs from previous years. Find more information about updates in calculations by checking the Frequently Asked Questions.
- Alaska Region Infrastructure Fact Sheet
- Intermountain Region Infrastructure Fact Sheet
- Midwest Region Infrastructure Fact Sheet
- National Capital Region Infrastructure Fact Sheet
- Northeast Region Infrastructure Fact Sheet
- Pacific West Region Infrastructure Fact Sheet
- Southeast Region Infrastructure Fact Sheet
- Support Office Infrastructure Fact Sheet
- Servicewide Infrastructure Fact Sheet
- Deferred Maintenance by State and Park (203KB PDF)
- NPS Asset Inventory Summary (94KB PDF)
- NPS Asset Inventory Summary by Region (214KB PDF)
- NPS Asset Inventory Summary by Park (11477KB PDF)
- Infographic: Deferred Maintenance Fact Sheet (PDF)
- Infographic: Deferred Maintenance Themes (PDF)
More Deferred Maintenance & Repairs
Deferred Maintenance and Repairs
The National Park Service is working to address the repair backlog to preserve parks and provide a world-class visitor experience.
By the Numbers
Get a quick breakdown of deferred maintenance and repairs, including number of assets and costs.
Frequently Asked Questions
Find answers to commonly asked questions about National Park Service deferred maintenance and repairs.
Last updated: August 31, 2022