Harpers Ferry NHP and Harpers Ferry Center will host a shared Community Volunteer Ambassador position in 2019. This is an incredible opportunity for young professionals who may be interested in a career with the NPS, or another federal land management agency. This will be the fourth year that we have hosted a CVA opportunity at Harpers Ferry. We will make the final selection by the first week of December, so please encourage interested applicants to apply soon!
This is an ideal opportunity for young professionals who are ages 21-30, who would be interested in using the PLC Status benefit (see below). All applicants are encouraged to apply.
This is a 50 week long AmeriCorps program professional opportunity working with
Volunteer Programs at NPS Sites or Programs, with benefits that include:
Public Land Corps Special Hiring Authority Status:
- The PLC is a work and education program involving the nation’s conservation and service corps that contributes to the rehabilitation, restoration, and repair of public land resources and infrastructures. PLC projects provide opportunities for community and national service, work experience and training to young men and women 16-30 years old, inclusive, who are unemployed or underemployed persons. The PLC is authorized by the Public Lands Corps (PLC) Act of 1993 as amended by the Public Lands Corps Healthy Forests Restoration Act of 2005.
- The PLC hiring authority is a noncompetitive recruitment source that may be used along with other recruitment sources to consider eligible candidates when announcing positions under merit procedures. After successful completion of a PLC project which includes at least 640 hours of work on a project that furthers the conservation, restoration, construction or rehabilitation of natural, cultural, historic, archaeological, recreational, or scenic resources,
- PLC members [CVAs] may be considered noncompetitively for not more than 2 years from date of completion of their service (FSM 1800 Youth, Volunteer, and Hosted Programs, Chapter 1820 Public Lands Corps). Individuals responsible for certifying the PLC graduate service must ensure they are between 16-30 years of age (inclusive), when the certification of completion of service is signed.
An AmeriCorps Education Award
- The Segal AmeriCorps Education Award is a benefit VISTA, AmeriCorps, and NCCC members receive upon successful completion of their term of service. The award can be used to go to specific schools or repay qualifying student loans. There are general terms that guide the use of the award and a process to follow to access your funds. The award is subject to taxes.
Click these links to learn more about the "Ed Award"
Pay for School
Pay Student Loans
Taxes on Ed Award
- Park Housing provided at no cost to you, in lower town Harpers Ferry.
- NPS Training and Mentoring for Career and Professional Development, catered to your interests.
- Have access to work with and learn from a variety of NPS Professionals, Programs, and Partners
- Work and live in historic Harpers Ferry
- Anniversary events
- Learn about Volunteer and Partnerships Management
- Work with the Harpers Ferry "Hammer Corps" on the Historic Lockwood House interior restoration
- Learn about Maintenance Backlog projects and recruit and lead Volunteers to assist in related projects.