Mentors who involve the mentee in the very first conversation set a positive tone for the relationship. Here are some ideas to get you started.
The First 7 Questions to Ask a Mentee / Mentees to Answer
- What are your professional and personal goals?
- Why did you choose to participate in the internship? What interested you about the internship?
- What major or majors are you considering? And why?
- What special situations do we need to consider along with your goals and career planning? For example, do you have a job? Are you responsible for your family? Do you have military obligations?
- What questions do you have about:
- Requirements for NPS careers?
- Building a federal resume?
- Your living quarters?
- What kinds of outdoor activities you can partake in within the park or park surrounding areas?
- Are you aware of the resources available to you via me, as your mentor ?
- How can I, as your mentor, help you most?
- Provide information on NPS policies and procedures?
- Provide information on the park resources and culture?
- Career guidance?
Adapted from NPS Academy Program Guide