Eastside Lumber Operation, North Manitou Island, c.1910

Historic photo of men loading logs alongside a large wooden dock

This photo shows lumber being loaded onto a boat on the eastside dock, near the “village” (a.k.a. Cottage Row) area on the eastern edge of North Manitou Island. The Empire Lumber Company hired Peter Stormer, Sr. in 1908 to remove thousands of acres of timber from the Newhall family property.

Last updated: December 1, 2020

Contact the Park

Mailing Address:

9922 Front Street
Empire, MI 49630

Phone:

(231) 326-4700

Contact Us