An application must be submitted for review of the project.
- The filming application (short form) is to be used for still photography and smaller video/film projects.
- The filming application (long form) is to be used for more complex video/film projects where more information is required to evaluate the application.
- The completed application must be submitted with a non-refundable, $100.00 application review fee.
- Information on the application will be used to evaluate the impact of the proposed activity on park resources and visitors.
- Applicants are encouraged to attach maps, diagrams, script pages or other information to assist in evaluating the application. (Since the NPS cannot censor content, submission of script and story-boards is voluntary.)
- Applications will not be processed if submitted incomplete, cannot be approved as submitted, or are received without payment.
- Applicants must submit their social security number or Federal Tax ID when filling out the application.
- Before submitting an application, it may be helpful to contact the Chief Ranger at 231-326-4740 with any questions you may have.
Timeframe for processing applications
- For simple projects, allow at least two weeks for processing.Requests which involve multiple locations, complex logistics or coordination with other visitor activities will require a minimum of three weeks to process.
- Projects which require environmental or cultural resource evaluation must be submitted not less than 30 days before the start of proposed activities.
Pre-Permit conference and location scouting
- A Pre-permit conference with the park’s permit coordinator may be necessary. The pre-permit conference may be conducted via telephone
- Location scouting may be required
- Location scouting may be conducted with the permit coordinator or other park staff
- Location scouting may be conducted by the permittee
- The completed permit will detail the activities and locations authorized. Activities or locations not specified in the permit will not be allowed
After your application is approved
- Upon approval of the application, you must present a certificate of insurance and the cost recovery fee.
- If it is deemed that a monitor (NPS employee) is to be assigned to your project, there will be a minimum fee of $50.00 per monitor per hour.
- Additional fees may be applicable and are listed below.