The scattering of human ashes from cremation within Shenandoah National Park is allowed without a permit, under the following terms and conditions. Any other circumstance requires a special permit. Permits are also required for ceremonies or assemblies that might conflict with normal Park operations or result in impact to Park resources.
Terms and Conditions
- The remains to be scattered must have been cremated and pulverized.
- The scattering of remains by persons on the ground and performed at least 100 feet from any trail, road, developed facility, or body of water
- The scattering of remains from the air is prohibited
- Ashes must be scattered over an area large enough so that they will not accumulate in one place
- The use of commercial, for profit venture to distribute cremated remains in the park is prohibited.
- No marker, urn or container of any kind may be left to commemorate the event
36 CFR §2.62 – Memorialization