In order to better protect the fragile plants that live on some of Shenandoah's rock outcrops, the park has implemented some very limited closures. Areas on Old Rag, Little Stony Man, Hawksbill, Old Rag, Mary's Rock, Mount Marshall, and Overall Run are closed to backcountry camping. If you planning a hiking trip and/or a backcountry overnight trip to one of those areas, please check the following maps for new closures.
Printable maps with closures:
- Limberlost Trail: closed area is bounded by Skyline Drive, Whiteoak Canyon Fire Road, and the Skyland-Big Meadows Horse Trail
- Hawksbill Mountain Summit: area above 3,600 feet
- Whiteoak Canyon: area between Skyland-Big Meadows Horse Trail and Cedar Run Link Trail
- Old Rag Mountain Summit: area above 2,800 feet
- Big Meadows: cleared area within view of Skyline Drive
- Rapidan Camp: area within .5 mile of buildings
The wilderness itself is historic; the historic process that gave protection and allowed the return of wild nature is continuing. Shenandoah is both a preserving and a creating park.
~ Darwin Lambert