If reserving a wilderness permit two weeks in advanced is not an option due to last-minute planning or the reservable trailhead quota was already filled on the day that you would like to begin your wilderness adventure- have no fear, there are walk-up permits available for every trailhead on each day of the quota-season!
How walk-up wilderness permits work during the quota season:
- All walk-up permits are released at 1pm the day before on a first-come-first-served basis.
- Each permit station can only issue permits for the trailheads closest to them. You must go to the correct permit station to compete for the trailhead of your choice.
- Every trailhead quota ensures that a third of its daily permits are for distribution via walk-up, only.
- There is potential that unreserved reservable-permits or cancellations may roll into the available walk-up permits.
- Line lengths are unpredictable and can vary greatly day-to-day. If you are seeking highly competitive permits or wish to backpack near a holiday weekend, be there the day before, no later than 1pm to have the best chance to compete effectively.
To learn more about specific trailhead quota limits and their permit station locations check out pages (6-11) on the Wilderness Trip Planner