Sand Creek Massacre News Release
August 3, 2014
For Immediate Release
Jeff Campbell, 719-729-3003
Colorado Territory: August 1864
August 9th Walking Tour at Sand Creek
This walking tour of Sand Creek Massacre National Historic Site will focus on the events of August of 1864, including the attempts at peace, gubernatorial proclamations, changes of heart, fruitless chases and authorization of a new regiment of volunteers. Some of these events included the responses to the June 27th Proclamation, a chase of Left Hand's emissaries down the Arkansas River and up Sand Creek, the Little Blue raids, and the U. S. War Department's authorization of the Third Colorado Cavalry.
Join park staff on a narrated tour that will discuss the events of August of 1864 and their role in the Massacre at Sand Creek. On August 9th, the presentation will begin at 10am and last approximately two hours. Visitors should expect to walk at least one mile over sandy and uneven terrain. Participants should dress appropriately for weather conditions and wear comfortable walking shoes. Long pants are recommended. Inclement weather on the day of the event may result in program cancellation; visitors with reservations will be notified.
Entrance to the park is free and gates open at 9am. The visitor contact station offers water and restroom facilities. The park bookstore is open concurrently with the site and offers over fifty titles to interested visitors. Reservations are encouraged, but not required. Please make reservations by calling 719-729-3003.
The Sand Creek Massacre is located in Kiowa County, Colorado. To visit the site, follow Colorado State Highway 96 east off Highway 287 near Eads, or west off Highway 385 at Sheridan Lake. Near Chivington, turn north onto County Road 54/Chief White Antelope Way or at Brandon, turn north onto County Road 59. Follow these roads to their intersections with County Road W. The park entrance is along CR W a mile east (right) of CR 54 or several miles west (left) of CR 59.
Caution Large Vehicles and Motorcyclists: Eight miles of dirt/sand roads lead to the site.
Last updated: February 24, 2015