The collection of documents surrounding the Sand Creek Massacre is extensive and complex. In addition to the historical documentation of the massacre and its related events, the National Park Service continues to conduct scientific studies across the site, including grass, bird, archaeological, and environmental reports. The following documents detail specific details of the Sand Creek Massacre and its associated documents, many of which include cooperation between tribes, state and federal agencies, universities, and affected landowners. Site Management documents can be found here.
Important Site Location Documents:Note: Many of these documents and study results saw use during the site location process from 1998-2000. The National Park Service has added to this research and information over the past few years, such as Nature and Science documents available here and Park Planning documents available here. Also, some information, such as the location of the site, has been clarified greatly in the intervening years. The Site Location Study will demonstrate National Park Service conclusions from the data available in 2000.
- Site Location Study - Details the legislation, research, process, and oral histories undertaken by the National Park Service to locate, define, and protect the site of the massacre. Published in 2000.
- Special Resource Study - Part 2 of the above report, but includes concise details regarding the conclusions of the NPS.
- Historical Research Interim Report 1 - Part 1 of the interim report on historical resources available to the NPS during the site location study. Published in 1998.
- Interim History Report 2 - Part 2 of the interim report on historical resources.
- Interim History Report 3 - Part 3 of the interim report on historical resources.
- Special Study - Aerial Photography - Information on the Aerial Survey of the site. Published in 1999.
- Archeological Reconnaissance - Report from Fort Lewis College on two possible sites for the Sand Creek Massacre. Published in 1998.
- Artifact Categories - List of likely artifacts to be found at the site, based on historical annuity and other records.
- Geophysical Investigations - Details of the soils and artifacts analyzed in 1999 by a geophysical survy team. Published in 1999.
- Geoarcheological Assessment - Soil analysis of several sites theorized to be the Sand Creek Massacre. Published in 1999.
- Environmental History Report - Environmental history of the High Plains and societies surrounding the Sand Creek Massacre. Published in 2007.