IntroductionLocated adjacent to the city of Los Angeles, the second largest urban area in the United States, Santa Monica Mountains National Recreation Area (SMMNRA) encompasses more than 150,000 acres of mountains and coastline in Ventura and Los Angeles counties. This protected area is one of only five Mediterranean ecosystems within the world and contains a rich biological diversity of more than 450 animal species and 26 distinct plant communities. SMMNRA is a unit of the National Park Service and is comprised of a network of local, state, and federal parks interwoven with private lands and surrounded by urban communities.
To continue the preservation of this unique ecosystem, SMMNRA is developing a new program that will engage park neighbors and local communities through education and outreach.
Santa Monica Mountains National Recreational Area is pleased to offer a part-time graphic design internship. The goal of the internship is to help the National Park Service design and develop informational posters, fliers, pamphlets, video work, short slide shows and other creative projects to share information with the public. While primary duties will be development and design of informational graphics, the selected intern may be asked to assist with content research and public programs.
- Design informational posters, fliers and pamphlets
- Assist with video and slide shows for internet distribution
- Assist with project web content
- Monitor web posting related to project
- Assist with informational content research including; non-toxic rodent control and pest management techniques, invasive weeds and native plant gardens
- Assist with evening outreach programs
- Internship length: 6 months, December 2014 - May 2015
- Part-time: 1-2 days per week (flexible scheduling)
- May occasionally work from home • $2,000 total stipend, paid monthly
- Housing is not provided
- Must be within commuting distance of Thousand Oaks, CA
- Must be 18 years or older and have a valid driver’s license
- A background check may be required for access to government computers
- Must provide own laptop and design software (Adobe Creative Suite)
QualificationsWe are looking for applicants who posses both technical graphic design skills as well as an interest in science and science communication.
The intern should have:
- A solid understanding of environmental issues, particularly those that relate to southern California
- The ability to indepentely research such issues and creatively transform that information into material appropriate for print media and the web
- Confidence in engaging with National Park Service staff and members of the local communities
- A portfolio that demonstrates strong composition, typography, hierarchy of information, and color theory
- Experience using Adobe InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator
Additional ResourcesFor questions about the internship, please contact: Michael Liang, Visual Information Specialist, Michael_Liang@nps.gov
- Portfolio of no more than 12 design projects, submitted as a PDF or online gallery
- 200 word response about why you are interested in an internship with Santa Monica Mountains National Recreation Area
Email application to: Michael_Liang@nps.gov