The Santa Monica Mountains National Recreation Area is committed to creating curriculum-based educational opportunities for students to learn about the natural and cultural history of the Santa Monica Mountains and the surrounding area. Interns learn how to plan, prepare, present and lead education programs for students and help plan, prepare and assist with teacher workshops. The education internship is a way for interns to learn new teaching skills and gain teaching and presenting confidence.
Major Duties (Intern will gain experience in):
- Assisting staff in developing additional elementary, middle or high school curriculum-based programs and materials. Tasks may include researching state and national standards, administering evaluations and reviewing results under the supervision of experienced park staff. Assisting with the presentation of existing and new elementary, middle and high school science programs in the classroom or in the field at various locations during the school year.
- Assisting with special projects, events, fairs all year, or with teacher workshops during the summer.
- Intern must be a US citizen or permanent resident of the US.
- College student or recent graduate with a background in Education, History, Ecology or related field.
- Ability to work well both independently and as part of a team, be detailoriented and organized.
- Good oral and written communication skills and ability to follow oral and written directions.
- Valid driver's license is required.
- Must have own transportation to and from worksite. Government vehicles are available for intern use within the scope of their internship.
Work Site and Conditions:
- Intern will be based at Rancho Sierra Vista in Newbury Park.
- Work will involve some physical activity, including hiking, walking, stooping and lifting educational equipment.
- Part time commitment (10 – 14 hours per week) throughout the school year (October – June) is preferred.
- Intern will work weekdays.
- A small expense stipend ($20 per 8 hours) may be arranged with the supervisor to be paid monthly.
How to Apply
To apply, submit the following documents via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Letter of intent (include how the position will benefit your career, the dates you are available, whether you need housing, your understanding that this internship is unpaid, except for the stipend, and that you have your own vehicle for transportation to and from work)
- Transcripts (unofficial are acceptable)
- Three references