Permits & Reservations


Ranger-Led Tours
Free reservations are required for all ranger-guided tours. You can make reservations in-person at the Visitor Center or by calling 978-740-1650.

Ranger-Led School Programs
Free reservations are required for all ranger-guided school programs. You can make reservations by calling Maryann Zujewski at 978-740-1662.

Interested in using the park for a special event or special use? You may need a Special Use Permit.

Groups and individuals can use Salem Maritime National Historic Site for special events, commercial activities and photography through a Special Use Permit (SUP). A SUP authorizes activities that benefit an individual, group or organization, rather than the public at large. These activities require written authorization and management oversight in order to protect park resources and the public interest. Activities requiring a SUP include, but are not limited to: weddings, commercial filming and/or photography, First Amendment activities, athletic and other public/private special events.

Use of Friendship
The park's tall ship, Friendship of Salem, is unavailable to host any special events or activities, due to ongoing ship maintenance projects. Other locations and buildings within the park are available for special use permit requests.

TAny commercial, non-profit or other formal filming or photography in the park requires a Fiming Permit.

Unless the requested use is an exercise of a First Amendment rights, applications must be accompanied by a non-refundable, $50 check made out to "The National Park Service." Non-profits, charities, community organizations, etc. are not exempt from $50 application fee.


Applications for Special Use Permits must be received by the park no less than two weeks prior to your proposed event date. The only exception to this is for First Amendment activities (permit not required for groups of 25 or less).

More Information
To obtain an Special Use Permit Application, contact Mike Parr (below). If you are not sure whether or not your event requires a permit or have other questions, contact:

Mike Parr Email
Chief Ranger
160 Derby Street
Salem, MA 01970
978-740-1654 (Fax)

Last updated: January 17, 2018

Contact the Park

Mailing Address:

160 Derby Street
Salem, MA 01970


(978) 740-1650

Contact Us