Commercial Use Authorizations

What is a CUA?
  • A Commercial Use Authorization (CUA) is a business permit with the National Park Service that authorizes an individual, group, company, or other for-profit entity to conduct commercial activities and provide specific visitor services within a national park area. The National Park Service will only issue CUAs for commercial activities and visitor services that:
    • are determined to be an appropriate use of San Juan Island National Historical Park (NHP);
    • will have minimal impact on San Juan Island NHP’s resources and values; and
    • are consistent with San Juan Island NHP’s purpose, management plans, policies, and regulations.
  • A CUA is required if you, as an individual, organization, or company, provide any goods, activities, services, agreements, or other function for members, clients, or the public that:
    • take place at least in part in San Juan Island NHP,
    • use park resources, and
    • result in compensation, monetary gain, benefit, or profit.
  • Businesses and individuals may not conduct commercial activities in the park without a valid CUA or in a manner inconsistent with the terms of the CUA.
Do road-based commercial tour companies need a CUA?
  • Yes. Road-based commercial tour companies, like all other commercial operators in San Juan Island NHP, must apply for a CUA and pay all associated costs.
How do I apply for a CUA?
  • Step 1
    • Download and complete the CUA Application. San Juan Island NHP only accepts CUA applications for the commercial activities listed below.
      • Driving Tours
      • Kayak Tours
      • Bike Tours
  • Step 2
    • Submit the signed application and any additionally required documentation via email to San Juan Island NHP. Incomplete applications will not be processed.
What are the reporting requirements?
  • CUA holders must submit an annual report each year by January 15. Download the report. This report provides the park with visitation statistics, reportable injury data, and a record of annual gross receipts.
  • You must return this report via email by January 15 each year. Failure to return required reports or misrepresentation of statistics or earnings will result in denial of your next CUA application.
CUA Office contact information
  • or (360) 378-2240 x2221

Last updated: July 16, 2018

Contact the Park

Mailing Address:

P.O. Box 429
Friday Harbor, WA 98250


(360) 378-2240

Contact Us