Help protect our beloved Sonoran Desert by fighting invasive plants.
The Sonoran Desert is being threatened by plants that have been brought in from other parts of the world. Lacking the insects, diseases, and other organisms that helped keep them in check back home, some go wild, pushing out native plants. Some, like buffelgrass, also create a heavy, continuous layer of grass that can fuel fast-moving, damaging wildfires.
The fight to Save Our Saguaros goes on all year, but from January 27 to March 4 there will be a month of concentrated effort. This is a community-wide effort involving many groups and hundreds of volunteers who will battle non-native plants across the Tucson Basin.
Saguaro National Park will have five opportunities for you to help during the month to pull buffelgrass.
- Saturday, January 27 - the park is partnering with the Sierra Club on the west district. Contact Guadalupe Sotelo Valenzuela (e-mail us) to volunteer. After the pull, eat your lunch at a home just outside the park boundary and get a tour of the home which is an off-the-grid solar-electric, straw-bale house that uses rainwater harvesting and other sustainable building techniques.
- Saturday, February 10 - the park’s Second Saturday pull on the east district. To sign up, visit our monthly buffelgrass pull page https://www.nps.gov/sagu/getinvolved/supportyourpark/monthly-buffelgrass-pull.htm
- Saturday, February 17 - the park’s 2018 Save Our Saguaro month special volunteer pull on the west district. To volunteer visit the Arizona Sonora Desert Museum's buffelgrass page at http://www.desertmuseum.org/buffelgrass/.
- Saturday, February 24 - another buffelgrass pull with the Sierra Club. Contact Guadalupe Sotelo Valenzuela (e-mail us) to volunteer. After the pull, eat your lunch at a home just outside the park boundary and get a tour of the home which is an off-the-grid solar-electric, straw-bale house that uses rainwater harvesting and other sustainable building techniques.
- Saturday, March 3, through Saturday, March 10 - the park is partnering with Wilderness Volunteers on a back-country camping trip to pull buffelgrass along the Quilter Trail segment of the Arizona Trail. To sign up visit the Wilderness Volunteers page at https://www.wildernessvolunteers.org/project/201803/Saguaro+National+Park.html.
- Saturday, March 3 - the park is partnering with REI Tucson for our final event of Save Our Saguaros month. This special volunteer pull will be held in the east district. To sign up visit the REI event page at https://www.rei.com/event/s
ave-our-saguaros-beat-back-buf felgrass-with-snp/tucson/19704 5
To help Save Our Saguaros and all that is at risk from non-native plants at other times of the year, either in the park, on your property, or at other places around Tucson visit our buffelgrass page at https://www.nps.gov/sagu/learn/nature/buffelgrass.htm#CP_JUMP_2667227