Settling the San Antonio River Valley

In 1718 the first Spanish settlements were established at the headwaters of the San Antonio River. The secular settlement was called the Villa de Bejar and the mission San Antonio de Valero. The Presidio of San Antonio de Valero was apparently not created from the Villa de Bejar until late 1719. A second mission, San José y San Miguel de Aguayo, was established downstream in 1720. In 1731, three east Texas Missions were relocated to the San Antonio River. They were named San Francisco de la Espada, San Juan Capistrano, and Nuestra Señora de la Purísima Concepción de Acuña.

Last updated: February 6, 2018

Contact the Park

Mailing Address:

Headquarters
2202 Roosevelt Avenue

San Antonio, TX 78210

Phone:

(210) 932-1001

Contact Us