Join the National Park Service for healthy outdoor fun on National Park Rx Day!
When: Saturday, April 28 2018, from 12 p.m. to 4 p.m.
Where: Fort Circle Parks - 5161 South Dakota Ave NE, Washington, DC 20017
Food and concessions will be on sale courtesy of Guest Services, Inc. Bring your whole family, furry family members included (provided they are on-leash)!
We are offering a variety of fun activities that connect your backyard park to easy, healthy lifestyle choices you can make:
- Learn about composting urban gardening for healthy fruits and vegetables-kids can plant and take home their own bean sprout!
- Talk with a healthcare provider about health concerns; get a free health screening.
- Play pick-up soccer, frisbee, football and more with park rangers and volunteers.
- Learn about small animals that live in your neighborhood-check out small animal pelts and artifacts with Latino Outdoors.
- Come check out the D.C. Parks and Recreation climbing wall and mobile fun unit.
- Historic Fort Totten Walk
Take a historic and educational walk with park rangers to Fort Totten, a historic defensive fort during the Civil War (1 mile, easy terrain).
- WABA Group Bike Ride
Washington Area Bicycling Association is sponsoring a group bike ride from Anacostia Park (19th and East Capitol St.) to the festivities. Bikes not provided, but we’re starting at a Capital Bikeshare station for those that need to rent a bike. Sign up for the bike ride here.
- Compete in a Citizen Nature Challenge
Biophilic D.C., part of the Biophilic Cities national program, is representing Washington D.C. in a national citizen science (collecting natural world information by the public) challenge. Come help find, take pictures of, and identify local wildlife in the forest nearby. Learn how to use the iNaturalist free app.
Come out and join us in your neighborhood national park, only a 5-minute walk from the Fort Totten Metro (red line)!
View our event flyer in English or view the flyer in Spanish.
If you’re interested in volunteering at the event to set up or break down, please email email@example.com.