Beach Drive Northbound Alternative Detour Route for Segments 2 & 3
There are several alternate Northbound routes other than the signed detour routes that can be used to travel northbound from Downtown Washington, D.C. to destinations north of the closure area. The following are descriptions of suggested alternate routes to Beach Drive. Please refer to the PM Peak Alternate Route Map for further details.
For Destinations to the northwest (e.g. Bethesda, Chevy Chase, Friendship Heights) from Downtown the following alternate routes are available:
- Rock Creek Parkway à Beach Drive à Tilden Street à Connecticut Avenue
- Downtown à Connecticut Avenue
- Rock Creek Parkway à Waterside Drive à 34th Street à Massachusetts Avenue à Reno Road
- Downtown à Massachusetts Avenueà 34th Street à Reno Road
For Destinations to the north (e.g. Silver Spring, Wheaton, Shepherd Park) from Downtown the following alternate routes are available:
- Rock Creek Parkway à Beach Drive à Klingle Road à Park Road à 16th Street
- Downtown à 16th Street
- Rock Creek Parkway à Beach Drive à Blagden Avenue à 16th Street*
*Route available during Segment 3 Only (closed during Segment 2).
***Please note that Rock Creek Parkway operates reversible lanes as follows:
For Destinations to the northeast (e.g. Takoma Park, Langley Park, Brightwood) from Downtown the typical route will be available via Beach Drive à Piney Branch Parkway à Arkansas Avenue.
- One-Way Southbound 6:45-9:30 AM (M-F)
- One-Way Northbound 3:45-6:30 PM (M-F)