The Adopt-a-Trail program is not accepting new volunteer applications at this time.
Adopt-a-Trail volunteers assist park staff in maintaining trails to:
- Help protect park resources by focusing and limiting visitor use impacts to specific areas and by reducing erosion from water runoff
- Facilitate visitor enjoyment by providing safe and easy access to the park
- Clear brush
- Remove downed tree rounds and limbs
- Dig drainage ditches
- Assist park staff in trail construction and maintenance
- Assist park staff in installation of fencing and signs
- Hike on and off backcountry trails
- Drive, on occasion, a government vehicle or crewcab pickup, to transport volunteers and tools
Volunteers must be able to perform moderate to heavy laboring tasks, be able to read and follow directions, and possess experience and ability in using hand tools. Prior experience or training is required to use power tools, if approved by the volunteer supervisor.
Volunteers must also be able to work outside on backcountry trails in mountainous terrain along the Pacific Coast in elevations from sea level to 2000 feet; work in hot/dusty or cold/wet/foggy conditions; and be willing to work in areas with potential exposure to poison oak, stinging nettles and ticks. Volunteers are required to provide closed-toe shoes.
Schedule and Time Commitment
The Adopt-a-Trail program operates on weekends January - May and from the 2nd week of August - December. Work days start at 9 am and continue for 6 to 8 hours.
Training is provided on-the-job.
Benefits to the Volunteer
Volunteers have the opportunity to gain experience in trail maintenance techniques while enjoying the satisfaction in helping to maintain the trail system in Point Reyes National Seashore.
Groups of 5 to 80 people are encouraged to participate. This opportunity is not open to individuals.
Minimum age is 16. Volunteers under 18 must have a signed parental consent form. Please contact us (see below) for more information.
Housing and RV sites are unavailable.
Application and Contact Information
Please apply here. (You will be directed to Volunteer.gov.)
For more information, contact Shawn Maloney at 415-464-5154 or by email.
Top of Page