- Date & Time
- Everyday from 09/05/2015 to 10/11/2015 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM
- Fee Information
- Contact Us
- e-mail us
Art Exhibition: "BayWood Artists Paint Point Reyes"
Marin County's BayWood Artists will present an exhibition and sale of landscape paintings at two West Marin locations beginning on Labor Day weekend. "BayWood Artists Paint Point Reyes" features recent paintings of Point Reyes National Seashore, as well as depictions of the town of Point Reyes Station. The exhibit will take place at the park's Red Barn Gallery and at Toby's Feed Barn Art Gallery in Point Reyes Station. The artists will donate up to 50% of the proceeds from "BayWood Artists Paint Point Reyes" to Point Reyes National Seashore Association (PRNSA) for restoration and preservation of the national seashore. Prior to the benefit sale and show, the public can observe the artists at work in various locations in West Marin creating paintings en plein air that will be for sale at the "BayWood Artists Paint Point Reyes" exhibits. (See times and locations below.)
- Saturday, August 8: A group of the BayWood Artists will be painting en plein air in various locations around downtown Point Reyes Station beginning at 9 am.
- Saturday, August 22: A group of the BayWood Artists will be painting en plein air at the Bear Valley Visitor Center in Point Reyes National Seashore beginning at 9 am.
Opening Receptions and Exhibit Locations:
- Saturday, September 5: The exhibit at the Red Barn at Point Reyes National Seashore opens with an artist reception and light refreshments from noon to 5 pm on Saturday, September 5. The exhibit at the Red Barn will also be open from noon to 5 pm on weekends through October 11 (except on Saturday, October 10, when the Red Barn exhibit will be closed). Visitors can also view and purchase a selection of the artists' works in the Bear Valley Visitor Center on Mondays through Fridays from 10 am to 5 pm, and on weekends and holidays from 9 am to 5 pm. Visitors may also view the paintings in the Red Barn Classroom on weekdays BY APPOINTMENT ONLY. Contact Carola DeRooy at 415-464-5125 or by email to schedule an appointment.
To get to the Red Barn Classroom, follow the directions to Point Reyes National Seashore. As you proceed up the driveway toward the Bear Valley Visitor Center, turn left at the sign for the Red Barn Classroom.
- Sunday, September 6: Concurrently, the group will exhibit work at Toby's Feed Barn Art Gallery in downtown Point Reyes Station. An artist reception will be held there on Sunday, September 6, from noon to 4 pm. The art can be viewed daily for the month of September during Toby's regular business hours.
BayWood Artists is a group of professional Northern California artists dedicated to helping preserve and protect areas recognized as particularly beautiful and important to future generations. Since its founding in 1997, the BayWood group has partnered each year with a Bay Area nonprofit environmental organization to produce a show illustrating their passion for preserving the landscape and to raise funds for important conservation causes. This year the sale of paintings by this remarkable group of artists will benefit the Point Reyes National Seashore Association to ensure that this uniquely beautiful area of parkland open space will be preserved for generations to come.
According to BayWood Artists spokesperson Zenaida Mott, "We in Marin and the greater Bay Area are incredibly blessed to be surrounded by the beauty of our protected open spaces. But we also recognize that this amazing heritage and its protections are fragile. So through our paintings, we strive as a group and as individual artists to raise awareness and funds for the preservation of those lands with the hope that they may be passed down to future generations to enjoy."