- Shiloh, TN
- Final defensive postion establish by Federals before launching counterattack against Confederates
- National Park, National Register of Historic Places
- OPEN TO PUBLIC:
This small earthwork formed a part of the last Union line of defense and was put up the night of April 6th, 1862, the only fortifications erected during the battle. However, as the Federals assumed the offensive early the next morning, it was never used.
The artillery along this ridge marks the final position of Grant's line on April 6, 1862, the first day of the battle. From this point, the Federals launched their counterattack on April 7. These siege guns are the heaviest pieces used in the battle. They had an accurate range of about 2,000 yards, whereas, the ordinary cannon were effective at only about 1,100 yards. They represent the last Union line, formed late Sunday afternoon, extending from the river to Snake Creek Bridge, a distance of about 2 miles.