Carrie Chapman Catt (1859-1947) graduated from Iowa State College in 1880. She became active in the suffrage movement in the late 1880’s, succeeding Susan B. Anthony as president of the National American Woman Suffrage Association in 1900 and later president of the International Woman Suffrage Alliance. In 1919, after being twice widowed and at the height of her influence on the suffrage movement, she bought a house on Ryder Road near the village of Briarcliff Manor. She resided there until 1928 with Mary Hay, who would be her partner of twenty years. During that time, besides the passage of the Nineteenth Amendment, Catt helped organize the League of Women Voters, published a book about the suffrage movement, and founded the National Committee on the Cause and Cure of War.
The Carrie Chapman Catt House was purportedly built in 1897, and is roughly T-shaped and two-and-one-half stories in height, with a high-pitched gable roof and clipped gable ends. A stone chimney rises out of the main section.
The Carrie Chapman Catt House was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on May 4, 2006.