- Sullivan's Island, South Carolina
- the site of the first major patriot victory during the American Revolution and is representative of more than 170 years of American coastal defense.
- National Monument
- OPEN TO PUBLIC:
Fort Moultrie is situated on Sullivan’s Island about one mile northeast of Fort Sumter. It is the site of the first major patriot victory during the American Revolution and is representative of more than 170 years of American coastal defense.
The first fort on Sullivan's Island was still incomplete when Commodore Sir Peter Parker and nine warships attacked it on June 28, 1776. After a nine-hour battle, the ships were forced to retire. Charleston was saved from British occupation, and the fort was named in honor of its commander, Colonel. William Moultrie. In 1780 the British finally captured Charleston, abandoning it only on the advent of peace.
After the Revolution, Fort Moultrie was neglected, and by 1791 little of it remained. Then, in 1793, war broke out between England and France. The next year Congress, seeking to safeguard American shores, authorized the first system of nationwide coastal fortifications. A second Fort Moultrie, one of 20 new forts along the Atlantic coast, was completed in 1798. It too suffered from neglect and was finally destroyed by a hurricane in 1804. By 1807 many of the other First System fortifications were in need of extensive repair. Congress responded by authorizing funds for a Second System, which included a third Fort Moultrie. By 1809 a new brick fort stood on Sullivan's Island.
Fort Moultrie was modernized in the 1870s, employing concepts developed during the war. Huge new cannon were installed, and magazines and bombproofs were built of thick concrete, then buried under tons of earth to absorb the explosion of heavy shells.
In 1885, President Grover Cleveland appointed Secretary of War William C. Endicott to head a board to review the coastal defenses in light of newly developing weapons technology. The system that emerged, named for Endicott, again modernized the nation's fortifications. New batteries of concrete and steel were constructed in Fort Moultrie. Larger weapons were emplaced elsewhere on Sullivan's Island, and the old fort became just a small part of the Fort Moultrie Military Reservation that covered much of the island.As technology changed, harbor defense became more complex.
The world wars brought new threats of submarine and aerial attack and required new means of defense at Moultrie. Yet these armaments also became obsolete as nuclear weapons and guided missiles altered the entire concept of national defense.
Today Fort Moultrie has been restored to portray the major periods of its history. A visitor to the fort moves steadily backwards in time from the World War II Harbor Entrance Control Post to the site of the Palmetto-log fort of 1776.
African Americans at Fort Moultrie
The forced exodus of West Africans to the New World often ended on Sullivan’s Island near Charleston, South Carolina, the entry point of nearly half of the captive Africans shipped to North America. Beyond military defense, the island had quarantine stations to protect the colony from deadly diseases. Between 1707 and 1799, when arriving ships carried infectious diseases, their free and – enslaved passengers were quarantine either aboard ship or in island ‘pest houses.’ This painful history makes Sullivan’s Island a gateway through which many African Americans can trace their entry into America.
The Fort Moultrie Visitor Center houses African Passages, an exhibit on international slave trade and Charleston as a main port of entry of Middle passage survivors and looks at slavery as the foundation of South Carolina’s antebellum plantation society. A history marker beside the frost an “A Bench by the Road” placed by the Toni Morrison Society commemorate those who survived the horrific journey from African and those who did not survive. An annual remembrance ceremony allows the public to join local organizers in honoring the memory of those who were lost.