- 1296 Upshur St. NW, Washington, DC
- Surveyed by the Historic American Buildings Survey
- OPEN TO PUBLIC:
The MCs added to the intrigue and anticipation surrounding the ClubHouse by requiring those who sought admission to apply to become members. When it finally opened in May 1975, the ClubHouse counted four hundred charter members. At its height, the club’s membership swelled to more than four thousand– with thousands more who attended as their guests. On a typical weekend night, more than eight hundred people filed into lines that wrapped around the block for the chance to party in the converted warehouse.
The nightclub gained an international reputation for its legendary DJs who pumped music though a sound system set up by audio engineers from New York’s Studio 54 and helped introduce house music to the District... Read the rest of the survey report...[pdf]
This Historic American Buildings Survey entry was written by Amber Bailey, the Historic American Buildings Survey/Society for Architectural Historians Sally Kress Tompkins Fellow for 2016. The Historic American Buildings Survey is a program of the National Park Service.