The High Plateau Institute is a field institute operated by the park in cooperation with its non-profit partner, the Bryce Canyon Association. The institute aims to provide an opportunity for field courses and research for this high plateau region of which the park is but a part.
The building also provides a location for some Junior Ranger programming during the summer months.
Old Administration Building
Constructed in 1932, this building was the park's first administrative center and is also known as the Old Administrative Building. Built in the National Park Service Rustic style of logs on a stone foundation, it was erected as part of what is known as the park's "Rapid Construction Phase" (1929-1932) in historic resource studies. The log ends of the building are finished in a "chopper cut" fashion; wherein the ends form a point of two or more sides, and lengths are staggered.
While only the front of the building was first constructed, the building was expanded in 1934, with one additional room positioned perpendicular to the original structure. It was built to separate office activities and the park museum.
On June 1, 1959, park personnel began transferring from the Old Administration Building to the new center (site of the present-day Visitor Center).
The building was restored in 1978 and partial rehabilitation work was conducted in 1992. Two years later, the building was submitted to the National Register of Historic Places for its association with the development of NPS administrative facilities and as an example of National Park Service Rustic architecture.