Circular of General Information
NPS Logo

Rules and Regulations

No fires shall be kindled without first obtaining permission from the superintendent or his representatives. They must be completely extinguished before leaving.

No camping permitted except within the regular camp grounds.

Trees, Flowers, and Animals.
Trees and shrubs must not be cut or broken. Flowers must not be picked. Birds and animals must not be molested. The injury or defacement of any natural feature is prohibited.

Do not throw paper, lunch refuse, or other trash on the roads, trails, or elsewhere. Deposit all such in the waste cans provided for the purpose.

Private notices or advertisements shall not be posted or displayed in the park.

Drive carefully at all times. Obey the park speed limit and other automobile regulations.

1604 Mount Desert Island discovered and named by Samuel de Champlain, September 5.
1688 Island granted to Antoine de la Mothe Cadillac by Louis XIV.
1762 Island given by Massachusetts to Sir Francis Bernard, Governor of Massachusetts; later island divided into two parts; eastern half granted by Massachusetts to M. and Mine. de Gregoire; western half to John Bernard.
1855 First "summer visitors" recorded as vacationing on Mount Desert Island.
1868 Steamboat service from Boston to the island inaugurated.
1888 Scenic railway built from shore of Eagle Lake to summit of Cadillac (Green) Mountain.
1901 Charter granted by Maine Legislature to Hancock County Trustees of Public Reservations to acquire and hold in the public interest land on Mount Desert Island.
1908 First gift of land to the Hancock County Trustees of Public Reservations. Mrs. Eliza Homans, of Boston, Massachusetts, donor.
1914 Five thousand acres of land on Mount Desert Island tendered to the Government as a national park by the Hancock County Trustees of Public Reservations.
1916 Tract accepted by Government and proclaimed by President Wilson to be the Sieur de Monts National Monument.
1919 Act of Congress, approved February 26, creating Lafayette National Park, the first national park east of the Mississippi River.
1927 Jordan Pond Road, a scenic motor highway begun in 1922, opened to travel.
1929 Park name changed from Lafayette to Acadia.
1929 Schoodic Peninsula added to park.
1931 Cadillac Mountain Summit Road completed. Work on this highway began in 1925.
1935 Schoodic Peninsula and Wonsqueak Harbor Roads completed.
1935 Schoodic Naval Radio Station completed and commissioned.

<<< Previous <<< Contents>>> Next >>>

Last Updated: 20-Jun-2010