The Monument will provide:
- Lodging in a designated log cabin at one of two administrative sites1 in the Monument. The cabin includes: a full kitchen2, full bathroom3, full bedroom4, living room, and heating. There is no air conditioning but the cabins have ceiling fans. Electricity from solar panels and a battery bank powers the cabins. There is a generator backup.
- Storage for the AiR's working supplies.
- A full car safety kit for the volunteer's vehicle (this will be loaned to the Artist for the duration of the Residency).
- Handheld radio and/or satellite communication device.
- Backcountry Travel Plan and detailed maps.
- Mileage reimbursement for the artist's travel out to the site and within the Monument. This requires the volunteer to sign up for direct deposit to a financial institution. Mileage rates are determined annually by GSA but are generally between $0.14 and $0.20 per mile.
- Reimbursement for art supplies and materials must be pre-approved. Itemized receipts are required for reimbursement.
The AiR must Provide:
- A personal 4x4 high clearance vehicle that is insured and in good working order. This includes the need for off-road capable tires (load range E recommended) and at least one full-size spare tire (two recommended). Rental companies do not allow their vehicles off-road.
- Camping gear, if sleeping away from the cabins.
- Sponge and dish soap to clean dishes.
- Enough drinking water for the duration of the stay, at least 1 gallon per person per day. The semi-potable water at the site is for showers and dishwashing, not drinking.
- Dish towel/Bath towel
- Bedding (twin size mattresses)
- Paper products
- All supplies and materials needed for artwork.
- Trash must be packed out and the cabin left clean.
(2) Full kitchen includes a stove, microwave, refrigerator, freezer, sink, plates, bowls, cups, utensils, and pots and pans.
(3) Full bathroom includes a shower, toilet, water heater, and sink.
(4) Full bedroom includes a twin bed, dresser, closet, and nightstand.