Information for Applicants
Thank you for your interest in the Commercial Use Authorization (CUA) program at Padre Island National Seashore. CUA's are limited authorizations to provide specific visitor services within the boundaries of the recreation area. They are issued by the National Park Service pursuant to authorities contained in Title 36, Code of Federal Regulations, Section 5.3 (39 Stat. 535, 16 USC 3). Permittees are not concessioners authorized under the Concessions Policy Act of 1965 (79 Stat. 969, 16 USC 20). This is an important distinction in that CUA's must meet certain criteria before an authorization of their visitor services will be granted.
Commercial Use Authorization FAQs
Park-wide Authorized Services
- Fishing guide services
- Tour guide services
- Mobile food services
Documents to be provided:
Permittee must provide the following documents before a CUA will be issued:
2. A current Certificate of Insurance documenting adequate Comprehensive General Liability coverage for the type(s) of activity the Permittee will be conducting. The minimum coverage is $500,000. The insurance certificate must name the United States of America as additional insured as well as specify that the service authorized by the permit is covered by the insurance policy.
3. A United States Coast Guard License is required for a Permittee to operate or navigate passenger-carrying vessels, if such vessels are involved in your proposal. (Fishing Guide, Tour Guide). You can contact the U.S. Coast Guard Licensing Division at (713) 948-3350 or (713) 948-3351.
4. A Texas State Guide License issued by the Texas Department of Parks and Wildlife is required for fishing guides, 800-792-1112.
5. The Permittee must be duly licensed by State or local authorities, where applicable, to conduct business within Texas. Please submit copies of any such license along with the CUA application.
6. A copy of any advertising brochures or materials should be provided with the CUA application.
7. A non-refundable application fee of $50.00 must be submitted with application. If one or more CUA's are applied for, a separate application is required for each activity.
8. All costs involved in administering and monitoring the CUA program are passed on to the Permittees. Costs for this year are $ 200.00. The term of a CUA is for a period not to exceed one year. Checks should be made out to "The National Park Service."
9. Those businesses that wish to apply for a CUA to provide one or more of the listed services should complete the following application and mail to:
Padre Island National Seashore
P.O. Box 181300
Corpus Christi, TX 78480
Further information can be obtained by calling the CUA Office at (361) 949-9238.