Special Use Permits

Special Use Permits (SUPs)

A special park use is a short-term activity that takes place in a park area and provides a benefit to an individual, group or organization, rather than the public at large; requires written authorization and some degree of management from the National Park Service (NPS) to protect park resources and the public interest; is not prohibited by law or regulation; and is neither initiated, sponsored, nor conducted by the NPS.

Weddings and Other Ceremonies
Scattering of cremation ashes
First Amendement Activities
Commercial Filming and Photography
Special Events Other activities that are otherwise controlled or prohibited


Park Specific Terms and Conditions

In addition to the general conditions found in all NPS administered SUPs, park specific requirements may apply as well. Applicants should carefully review these terms and conditions prior to signing the permit as they set out the SUP holder's rights and obligations.

SUP Fees

The authority for the National Park Service to impose user charges to recover costs associated with managing special park uses is found in 31 U.S.C. 9701 and 16 U.S.C. 3a. Application fees for SUPs are non-refundable. The application processing fee is $50.00 (unless the requested use is an exercies of a First Amendment right or scattering of ashes). Administration and monitoring fees may also apply.

Liability Insurance

Some activities may require permittee to carry liability insurance.

Reporting Requirements

An informal report of activities may be requested.

How to Apply

For an application to conduct an event, wedding or other ceremony, to scatter cremation ashes, distribute printed materials or express public views Click here

For an application to do commercial filming, photography or sound recording click here.

Print out and complete the application. Mail to: Ozark National Scenic Riverways, Attn.: Commercial Services Program Office, P. O. Box 490, Van Buren, Missouri 63965

Note that this is an application only and does not serve as permission to conduct any use of the park. Upon receipt of your request a Special Use Permit may be issued providing the proposed activity meets the approved criteria for authorization. Please allow a minimum of five business days for your application to be processed.

For additional information about Special Use Permits at Ozark National Scenic Riverways please contact the Commercial Services Program Office at 573-323-4864 or e-mail.

Last updated: December 15, 2017

Contact the Park

Mailing Address:

P.O. Box 490
Van Buren, MO 63965


(573) 323-4236

Contact Us