Glen Echo began in 1891 as a National Chautauqua Assembly "to promote liberal and practical education, especially among the masses of the people; to teach the sciences, arts, languages, and literature; to prepare its patrons for their several pursuits and professions in life; and to fit them for the duties which devolve upon them as members of society." By 1900, Glen Echo was on its way to becoming a premier amusement park, and it served the Washington area as such until 1968. Today the park has come full circle, the land and the historic buildings a back drop for a rich arts education program.
Objects associated with the site's use as a Chautaqua (c. 1891-1898) and as an amusement park (c. 1899-1968); archeological objects systematically recovered from construction project sites within the park's boundaries and associated field records.
(George Washington Memorial Parkway)
For more information