Wilderness Camping Permits

In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, several changes are in place for Wilderness Camping Permits for the 2020 season.

Wilderness Information Centers will remain closed to the public for the summer of 2020. If you have any questions, WIC staff are available via email at OLYM_WIC@nps.gov or by phone at (360) 565-3100.

Wilderness Camping Permits are required for all overnight stays in the Olympic National Park wilderness (backcountry) year-round.

  • All Wilderness Camping Permits must be obtained in advance. There will be no self-registration available for the remainder of 2020, trailhead permits are no longer available.
  • There will be no walk up permits available at any Wilderness Information Center (WIC). All WIC locations are closed to the public but WIC staff will be available to answer telephone calls and assist with permit questions/issues.
  • All Wilderness Camping Permits must be reserved on Recreation.gov through the Olympic National Park Wilderness Permit page prior to the planned trip.
  • Park-wide wilderness camping area quotas have been implemented to further align with guidelines associated with the COVID-19 pandemic. Quota numbers and camp area availability will be displayed in real time on recreation.gov and will be available on a first come, first serve basis through the Recreation.gov website.
  • 100% of camp area availability will be available online, there will be no availability saved for walk-up. Additional reservations for the Seven Lakes Basin / High Divide will be released on Recreation.gov on July 12th at 8:00 AM PDT, these are the spaces that were typically held for walk-up permits.
  • Reservations can be made up to 6 months in advance. For the summer of 2020, reservations can be made up to the start date of your trip, dependent on availability.
  • Reserved permits will be issued by Wilderness Information Center staff 5-7 days before the start date of your trip, you will then be able to log in to your account and print the permit yourself.
  • Please note that bear canisters are required at many wilderness camp areas. Due to COVID-19 we highly encourage wilderness users to provide their own bear canisters. Bear canisters may be available for loan on a limited basis at the Wilderness Information Centers.
  • For current wilderness conditions, please visit the trail conditions page.
  • For more information on Wilderness Camping Permits visit the Wilderness Reservations Page.

Last updated: July 28, 2020

Contact the Park

Mailing Address:

600 E. Park Avenue
Port Angeles, WA 98362


(360) 565-3130

Contact Us