Questions for Drawing 1 and Photo 1
1. Compare and contrast the two images in terms of the appearance of the buildings, the activities of the people, the surrounding landscape, the general look of the street, and the vehicles.
2. Does the artist's conception of the first store seem idealized? If so, how? What do you think he is trying to convey to the viewer?
3. What other uses did the building serve at the time Photo 1 was taken?
4. If there was no date attached to the photo, what clues might help you figure out when it was taken?
* The images on the screen have a resolution of 72 dots per inch (dpi), and therefore will print poorly. You can obtain a high quality version of Drawing 1 and Photo 1, but be aware that each file will take about 30 seconds to load with a 28.8K modem.