furnace in operation.
Questions for Illustration 1
1. Based on the readings and Illustration 1, describe how a blast furnace operated.
2. What jobs are being performed by the men in the illustration?
3. What was the purpose of the blowing tubs? How were they powered?
4. Molten iron can reach a temperature of 3000 degrees Fahrenheit. What protective clothing do the workers shown in this illustration wear? What other protection would you want if you were working at a furnace?
* The illustration on this screen has a resolution of 72 dots per inch (dpi), and therefore will print poorly. You can obtain a larger version of Illustration 1, but be aware that the file will take as much as 27 seconds to load with a 28.8K modem.