Questions for Illustration 1
1. What does the illustration convey about the fighting at Rivers Bridge? Does the illustration help you better understand what it might be like to fight in such a setting?
2. Compare the illustration with Map 1. What aspects of the terrain does the illustration show that the battlefield map does not?
3. How do Map 1 and Illustration 1 together provide a more detailed depiction of the battlefield and the combat at Rivers Bridge?
4. What might be some of the strengths and weaknesses of fighting in this type of terrain?
¹ "Sherman's March through South Carolina--Road at the Swamp Crossings," from Harper's Weekly, Vol. IX (March 4, 1865), p. 129.
* The illustration on this screen has a resolution of 72 dots per inch (dpi), and therefore will print poorly. You can obtain a larger version of Illustration 1, but be aware that the file will take as much as 45 seconds to load with a 28.8K modem.