Questions for Painting 1
1. Look at the painting briefly and describe your first impression.
2. Look carefully at the painting. Describe the actions of the soldiers in the foreground of the picture. Describe the actions of the soldiers in the background of the picture.
3. How are the soldiers in the foreground using the terrain to their advantage? How are the soldiers in the background using the buildings to their advantage?
4. Compare Painting 1 with the description of the fight at Pigeon's Ranch in Readings 1 and 3. What information does the painting provide that the readings do not? What information do the readings provide that the painting lacks?
* The painting on this screen has a resolution of 72 dots per inch (dpi), and therefore will print poorly. You can obtain a larger version of Painting 1, but be aware that the file will take as much as 51 seconds to load with a 28.8K modem.