Photo 2 shows residents Annie Hough and brother Silas standing on Main Street. The Mill is down the hill at the far end of the street. Waterford today is little changed from this 19th-century view.Questions for Photo 2 and Photo 3
1. Study both photographs. What are some of the similarities and differences between the two views?
2. What can you learn about the topography of Waterford by studying these photos?
3. Refer back to Drawing 1 and try to determine from where Photos 2 and 3 might have been taken.
4. What national event was happening in 1862?
5. Do you think it was unusual for Annie and Silas to have their picture taken at this time? Why or why not?
* The photos on this screen have a resolution of 72 dots per inch (dpi), and therefore will print poorly. You can obtain a larger version of Photo 2 and Photo 3, but be aware that each file will take as much as 60 seconds to load with a 28.8K modem.