Photo 1: Skagway, Alaska, 1898.
Questions for Photo 1
1. What are your impressions of the town of Skagway and the surrounding landscape?
2. Why did the wharves extend so far from town? Why were there buildings at the ends of the wharves? What kinds of goods might have been unloaded and stored there?
3. Describe what is happening in the lower right corner of the photo.
4. If you did not know when this photo was taken, what clues might help you determine a date?
* The image on the screen has a resolution of 72 dots per inch (dpi), and therefore will print poorly. You can obtain a high resolution version of Photo 1, but be aware that it will take about 30 seconds to load with a 28.8K modem.