Illustration 1: Northeastern Oklahoma and
Battle of Honey Springs.
Note: A company at full strength had approximately 100 men; a regiment was 10 companies.
Questions for Illustration 1 & Table 2
1. Examine Illustration 1. What major routes for transportation are near Honey Springs?
2. What advantage does the illustration suggest the United States Army might have over the Confederate States Army because the battle took place at Honey Springs?
3. Now study Table 2. How many Native American tribes are represented on each side? How many tribes have people fighting on both sides?
4. Refer back to your answer for Locating the Site, Question 4. Compare your answer to Table 2. How accurate were you in determining which Native Americans might be more sympathetic to the Confederate States versus the United States? Based on what you have learned in your readings and from Table 2, explain the representation of Native American tribes for each side.
* The illustration on this screen has a resolution of 72 dots per inch (dpi), and therefore will print poorly. You can obtain a high quality version of Illustration 1, but be aware that the file will take as much as 25 seconds to load with a 28.8K modem.