Joshua Tree National Park, California.
The shaded areas of this map represent desert mountains which include the "Wonderland of Rocks," a huge mass of granite rocks piled hundreds of feet high.
1. Locate Desert Queen Ranch (Keys Ranch), the northern boundary of Joshua Tree National Park, and the town of Twentynine Palms.
2. List the three mountains on the map and their elevations above sea level. How much higher than Keys Ranch is each of the mountains? How much higher is each mountain than the town of Twentynine Palms?
3. Trace the route between Keys Ranch and Twentynine Palms. Why is this route indirect?
4. What do you think the icon below Twentynine Palms signifies?
* The map on this screen has a resolution of 72 dots per inch (dpi), and therefore will print poorly. You can obtain a high quality version of Map 2, but be aware that the file may take as much as 30 seconds to load with a 28.8K modem.