Drawing 1: Saint-Gaudens National Historic Site.
Saint-Gaudens made extensive changes to both the house, which was in a dilapidated condition when he first moved in, and the landscape.
Questions for Drawing 1
1. What are your first impressions of the site?
2. Describe the landscape of the grounds and the surrounding region.
3. Locate the main house. Why do you think Saint-Gaudens named the house "Aspet"? (You may need to refer back to Reading 1.)
4. Locate the Little Studio that Saint-Gaudens converted from an old barn. By 1902 he had constructed a larger studio that no longer stands, but was located near the site of the present day New Gallery. Why might Saint-Gaudens have needed more than one studio?
5. Does this look like a summer home? What do you think the site reveals about the lifestyle of the Saint-Gaudenses?
* The drawing on this screen has a resolution of 72 dots per inch (dpi), and therefore will print poorly. You can obtain a high quality version of Drawing 1, but be aware that the file will take as much as 40 seconds to load with a 28.8K modem.