Document 1: Advertisement for Chatham in Fredericksburg News, October 20, 1857.
Text only version of Document 1.
Questions for Document 1
1. Read as much as you can make out from Document 1, which J. Horace Lacy probably read in 1857.
2. What does the advertisement suggest are the advantages of the plantation?
3. Would any of those advantages also be appropriate for the use of the plantation as an army base and army hospital?
4. What might have disappeared from the plantation as a result of the war? What do you think would have been left behind?
* The document on this screen has a resolution of 72 dots per inch (dpi), and therefore will print poorly. You can obtain a high quality version of Document 1, but be aware that the file will take as much as 30 seconds to load with a 28.8K modem.