Photo 1: Modern view of Green River Valley showing natural reforestation.
showing typical land use prior to park
establishment, c. 1935.
Questions for Photos 1 & 2
1. Examine Photo 1 showing part of the Green River Valley as it appears today and might have appeared at the time of European settlement. Would you suspect that an enormous cave lay underground? Why might people would want to settle on this land?
2. Look at Photo 2. This is a typical view of the land after it had been farmed for several generations. How do you think the trees grew up on the land that had once been plowed for crops? Do you think more kinds of plants and animals live in the park now or when it was farmland?
3. What do you think are the most important benefits we receive from wild or natural areas? What are the most important benefits we receive from farmland? How can we balance the need for both types of land?
4. If you were among those who had to move out of the area, would you have approved or disapproved of the establishment of the park?
* The photos on this screen have a resolution of 72 dots per inch (dpi), and therefore will print poorly. You can obtain a high quality version of Photo 1 and Photo 2, but be aware that each file will take as much as 30 seconds to load with a 28.8K modem.